Vera Neumann

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's always fun getting a new book and learning new things, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got my Vera Book yesterday.  I couldn't put it down!


 I have heard of Ms. Vera Neumann, but wanted to know more and I just love everything that she has done.  Her ideas about art and home decor fall right in line with mine.  She believed that artowrk should not be relegated to walls.  Rather, people should surround themselves with art-wear it, eat off it, and sleep under it.  


Vera Neumann


Her career as a textile designer and artist is unbeliveable considering she started around the time of the depression.  She grew it into a mult-million dollar endevor with products from fabric, tabletop, bedding, clothes, kitcheware and her famous scarves.  She was one of the first artist to pave the way for cross-lisencing artwork for different products (thanks Vera!) and also to have her logo printed on her products.  It was just a simple idea she had, but it is what grew her business so rapidly. 

via
via

It is always interesting to learn about other designers careers, although Vera is up there with Kate Spade and Lilly Pulitzer, it's always a great burst of motivation for me to keep working and keep creating.  Who are some of your favorite textile designers?

*images 2-4 are directly from the book: Vera-The Art and Life of an Icon

1 comment:

  1. I adore Vera !!! Thanks for this post, Laura. I will definitely have to check out this book. I did a lot of research on her after finding some vintage Vera plates...oh, and her scarves are the best!!! Love your blog and your work. K

    ReplyDelete